Starts Back Crossword
Starts back crossword clue. A crossword question at Daily Telegraph Sydney on 27 May 2017, 5 letters.
The answer is SHIES
adjective, shyer or shier, shyest or shiest.
1. bashful; retiring.
2. easily frightened away; timid.
3. suspicious; distrustful:
I am a bit shy of that sort of person.
4. reluctant; wary.
shy of funds.
6. scant; short of a full amount or number:
still a few dollars shy of our goal; an inch shy of being six feet.
7. (in poker) indebted to the pot.
verb (used without object), shied, shying.
9. (especially of a horse) to start back or aside, as in fear.
10. to draw back; recoil.
noun, plural shies.
11. a sudden start aside, as in fear.
12. fight shy of, to keep away from; avoid: